Sunday, May 25, 2008

My favorite part of our excursion into the desert was the sand dune lizard. There was this amazing desert lizard about four inches long from head to tail end that was running up the sand dune. The lizard looked similar to a chameleon accept for its stub-like flat head and its armpits. It had under each armpit a small red pouch which contrasted greatly with it's sandy grey color. These pouches would expand and contract as if they were filling up with air upon each breath of the lizard. I wonder if these red pouches were meant to attract a mate, being evolutionarily advantageous for sexual selection. The lizard also did something that was unlike anything I have ever seen. It shook its body rapidly and sunk into the sand, completely submerging its body without leaving a trace of its presence. I really got a kick out of this. I hope that the landscape and creatures continue to fascinate me in weeks to come.

No comments: